Wednesday 25 May 2016

What people think abt India n the Indians?

People's perception about India and the Indians:


Views of Mr. Prateek Bajpai, who lived in Algeria:


I was working as a civil engineer in Algeria, North Africa and there, I had several interesting conversations with Algerian people. A few of those went like this -
  1. I was talking to a couple of Algerian guys at a beach in the city Oran
  2. Algerian guy - Is it actually true that in India, the bride's parents have to give money to the bridegroom in order to get married? How is this even possible?(In Algeria, guys are supposed to give dowry in order to get married)
  3. I have no idea how, but TV channels like Z cinema, Sony etc are telecasted on Algerian TVs as well. So, many Algerians I came across have seen Hindi movies (with subtitles of course) and they are madly in love with the the Indian culture of dance and celebration, romance and tragedy portrayed in these movies. Every single Algerian girl I spoke to, wanted to come to India just to meet either Shahid, Shahrukh, Aishwarya or Kareena (These 4 are the most popular Indian celebs in Algeria). A few of them even asked me if I am related to these people in any way or if I had their phone numbers :P
    Girls and kids used to greet us (Indians) in the market, at beach or at any other place saying things like "Jaane tu ya jaane na", "Dhoom machaale dhoom" etc
Z cinema showing some movie of Emran Hashmi in a restaurant in Algeria
  1. One teenager Abdul who lived near my home in Algeria learnt okayish Hindi just by listening dialogues in the Hindi movies and reading the Arabic subtitles. This was the extent of how much Algerians were obsessed with India and Indian culture.
  2. Many of them thought that Indians are super intelligent, very hard-working and extremely honest. (I made sure that this belief of theirs was even more solidified)
  3. They believed that people in India are very happy with their lives and were very surprised as to why I left India to come and work in their country.
  4. Algeria is an Islamic country and for many girls there, it was like a dream to marry an Indian Muslim. They were very disappointed when I told them that I am not one. 
  5. A few of them asked me if it was true that most of the Indians are vegetarians? (Me being a vegetarian made it even more difficult to convince them otherwise)
During my entire stay at Algeria, I never felt out of place. The people there were very friendly and amazing human beings. I will cherish this experience forever.



https://linksredirect.com/?pub_id=11719CL10653&url=http%3A//www.airtel.in/

No comments: